There are many good reasons to masturbate. Maybe you already know some of them? Otherwise, you may be inspired by this list of the benefits of masturbation
- When you have an orgasm, the brain releases the happy hormones dopamine, endorphin and serotonin. Amongst other things, they help regulate your mood and behaviour, giving you a feeling of happiness and euphoria. So masturbating makes you less stressed and happier.
- You get to know your body and what turns you on better. When you masturbate, you can explore your body and how and where you like to be touched. Experiment with different pressures, speeds or touching different areas of your body and find out what you like best.
- Your sex life with others can get better. When you know what kind of touch you like, masturbation gets even better. And as a bonus, sex with others can be even better because it's more easy to guide them to touch you just right. It can also be really nice (and naughty) just to masturbate together and see how your partner(s) touch themselves.
- You lower your risk of prostate cancer. Studies from Harvard show that you can lower your risk of prostate cancer, the tiny gland people with penises have, if you ejaculate 21 or more times a month. That can reduce the risk by up to a third!
- Masturbation can help with menstrual pain. As well as dopamine, endorphin and serotonin, the brain also releases oxytocin when you have an orgasm. Amongst other things, oxytocin can increase your pain tolerance, so if you have bad menstrual pain, masturbation can be a good help.
- Masturbation can strengthen your pelvic floor. When you orgasm, your pelvic floor muscles contract. This helps strengthen your pelvic floor, which can actually help you have even better orgasms. To learn more about how to easily train your pelvic floor, read our guide here.
- You'll sleep better after an orgasm. As well as being pain-relieving, oxytocin is also calming. So if you can't sleep, masturbation can be a great way to get a little more sleep.
- You'll be more comfortable in your body. When you masturbate, you create a connection with your body that can help build confidence and self-awareness. When you enjoy and get pleasure from your body, it's also easier to love it